Saturday, May 14, 2011

Simple Things...

We live in an amazingly negative society. Im not saying that Im not one of the biggest contributors to that. I tend to focus on the things that are bad or full of flaws and failure as well. Sometimes the negative things are pretty funny and engender rather funny, or witty comments. But at the end of the day, is that really what we remember? Looking back over my life I can tell you that my negative memories aren't funny. They weren't fun, although they usually had a joyful ending where I learned something. The memories I have that I still laugh at and cherish are those with positive language, with people getting along. They're the types of memories I'll keep for the rest of my life. I find these types of memories to be extremely simple. They didn't take place at huge parties or fancy buildings. They are just events that came as powerful bonding experiences with the people that matter most.

Im an extremely witty guy, but when I look back over the times I've had with my friends, I think of a personal walk I had with a best friend who confided much in me and entrusted me with his problems and personal life. I think of playing sports when our friends encouraged each other to get better and had a lot of fun. I remember shooting squirt guns inside my house late at night when the parents were asleep. (Sorry mom.)

At home with my family, I can certainly be the first to make a funny joke about how terrible the government is, or talk about a funny anecdote about something embarrassing happening to a kid at school. But when I look back on the time I had with my family, I remember a caring mother listening to all my problems and helping me turn to my scriptures. I think of my dad who always dropped what he was doing to listen to me and enjoy hearing about my life and watching his son grow into a man. I think my oldest sister, Rachel, driving me to go parties with her even though I might embarrass her, or my oldest brother Jeremy running with me on his back as a little kid, my sister Elizabeth calling me just to brighten up my day with her silly jokes and being so happy and loving, I think of my brother Erik, encouraging me to be my best self, and giving me advice, and even now and then getting into wrestling matches now and then. I think of times when we would laugh and play a game at family home evening, each of us contributing our wonderful personalities to make the night so memorable.

When I come home it is easy to think about the hardships of the day and the undesirable people I sometimes meet, but I will never forget those times when I get down on my knees and pray to a Loving Heavenly Father, and am reminded about the sacrifices of His Son Jesus Christ, and feel the spirit so strong. I will never forget those nearly sleepless fearful nights when I have felt divine arms engulf me and calm my heart. I will never forget a loving divine Father letting me know He loves me.

Thats what I'll remember. Simple, yet powerful.

1 comment: