Sunday, May 22, 2011

Disney Land Trip

Oh man! Sometimes you just have so many memories you just don't know what to do with them! So I figured I'd better blog about it now before I procrastinate writing in my journal later.

The Foothill Jazz Band went to Disney Land recently not just to ride rides, but to get some back stage introduction and opportunities as well. I have to admit I was a little cynical about the trip at first because a lot of my friends weren't going, but my mind was definitely changed with all of the great times I had.

First off, Rileigh Sorenson was just the greatest bus buddy! She is so fun to carry on a conversation with. We could talk about anything, and she is very funny when she gets delirious and tired. I found out she can sleep in mid air basically and also whooped me at hangman just by using the word "sky" Yeah, beware of that word in hang man! Just putting that out there in case it happens to you, don't say I didn't warn you!

My room mates Justin Price, Matthew Oehler, and Kameron Campbell really changed my
attitude into a good one by making the trip even more fun right when we got into California. We had pillow fights everyday, and Im sorry justin, but you probably need to take some pepsid or heartburn controller before you do to bed, because you can really express your emotions in gassy ways. Matt Oehler can certainly a pillow at a speed of at least 100 mph, Im sure of it. And the icing on the cake was the funny videos we watching in the room last night before going to bed. I'll post some of them on here:




Also, the first day spent in the Disney and California Adventures Park was amazing as well.
A group composed of me, Kaleb Perez, Kody Ketten, and Haden Larcom for the most part had some great laughs. We went on the California Screamin' 7-100 times, and space mountain. I still laugh about the two times we went on the river rafting ride and I pretty much stayed dry and everyone else got completely wet. Just walking through the park was a hoot. Kaleb Perez is pretty much a mini version of myself, we even caught ourselves doing the same snap-walk dance
together to a hokie ragtime toon. And holy cow, Kody Ketten can make some of the weirdest/scary faces and do a mad wave with his eyebrows. Haden Larcom, was always there to put some funny, witty two cents in. It was all in all one of the funnest days of high school.

The recording workshops are probably one of the best musical memories I will take with me from high school. What kind of band gets to play behind a disney cartoon and see what it sounds like after with the cartoon? I bet not many do! The Jazz band recodings were esspecially fun. Nick Mahe and I really got into those! My favorite was the Humphrey Hop where a bunch of bears were cleaning up trash in a park while swingin' their butts with the "BAPS" of trombones! Playing behind a drunk Dumbo was also quite a kick, and also setting the scene of an elligant business trip for Mr. Incredible was extremely legit.

While this next video is a recoding of our jazz band, its the music we played and watched behind this clip. This was definitely my favorite!


The next day we arrived at the Back Lot in California Adventures in our tux and dress formal. Both the concert and jazz bands put on a fun concert with an interesting set up. I can't say it was the highlight but it was a good experience. I did see my favorite character: PLUTO! and I ran up to him back stage and nearly tackled him and in turn nearly got tackled by security! The rest of the day after that was spent having memorable laughs and returning to the fun rides we missed out on yesterday, including the old classic Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion. In the late of night we rode the Thunder Mountain ride one more time and then did a little shopping. I remember Kaleb buying a baseball for his dad and getting it stuck in his back pocket, and I tried to help him get it out while walking to the trams. I'm sure it looked pretty interesting to passersby... But heck we were more normal than most people there thats for dang sure!


Well I know I definitely left out a ton of great memories. But all-in-all it was a great summary of a great fours years in the Foothill Band. There have never been greater teachers or friends anywhere else in the world. Thanks to everyone for that, including my friends that weren't able to go. You guys have changed my life for the better! Thanks for the great times!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a blast. I like the music you got to play with the garbage guy. Bump Bump.

    ReplyDelete