Monday, March 21, 2011

Please don't be mad... it makes me laugh

I'm a laugher. Always have been, always will be. I laugh at a lot of things, even if their not funny. Even if I don't necessarily think they're funny. I think laughter often makes people more comfortable, so even if they tell a stupid joke, I laugh so they don't feel dumb - usually. But I legitimately laugh at a lot of things... Angry people is one of those things.

While there are appropriate times to share concerns with a peer or even a mentor, getting angry in public, or on a regular basis just seems unnecessary. You really had to get
mad at that person in front of all of his/her friends? You really had to talk about it right then? Wow, I'd hate to see you at home... but thanks for the entertainment... I really enjoyed it.

One of my favorite scenes on a Disney movie is on A Bugs Life. I love the part when hopper is getting super upset at one of his mercenaries because he wont shut up.When Hopper gets in his face, the guy starts laughing a little bit. That makes Hopper even angrier which makes the scene funnier after he says "I swear, if I hadn't promised your mother - on hear death bed - that
I wouldn't kill you I would... KILL YOU!" To which his mercenary grass Hopper replies "And trust me, nobody appreciates that more than I do."

To put this feeling in perspective, have you ever had that time when you're getting lectured by a parent or a teacher and something they do, say, or just a random thought makes you start to laugh? Sometimes what your laughing about isn't even that funny, its just the fact that you're laughing in a terrible situation. I've had it happen to me so much I have artfully mastered making my laugh look like a sneeze or a cough.

I can remember one time in particular - In Mr. Battani's Middle School band. We were playing a song, and it was probably the best run through we'd had so far... but then a trumpet player plays one wrong note and sits on it for the longest time, in ignorance. Suddenly when he looks up, he sees an irate Battani dramatically silencing the band and hopping off his chair to run at the trumpet section. When the player finally noticed, all he could say is "Woah! WOah! WOAH!!!"















I've never seen a cool angry person. You just end up making a fool of yourself. Just be happy. Laugh, have fun, life may not be great but you can still find the good. If its an off day, just keep to yourself, but whatever you do, please don't get mad... you'll make me laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that Brother. Angry people are funny. Yes parents, that includes you.

    ReplyDelete