Thursday, February 3, 2011

Two Parts

Who in the heck invented two-part questions? Seriously, what is the point of having two or more parts to a question? Is it just so that your teacher can assign you numbers 1-6 in the book and underneath each question is about 50 more questions? Sorry teach, it doesn't make you look any nicer.

I can't imagine the world if we all delivered multiple part questions. The press interviewing a politician would be something like - "Senator Goodman, What is your view on health care? Why is that your view on that? What or who inspired this view? Explain." Politicians have a hard enough time answering one, let alone 500 packed into one! So why students?

What about a criminal investigator interrogating a suspect under the heat lamp - "Alright Jonny, I want the answers and I want 'em fast. Where were you last Sunday? Why were you there? Who was there with you? What did you experience there? How did the experience affect you? Answer in complete sentences and explain you answer!"


Thats another thing I don't understand - the "Explain" part at the end of nearly every two-part question. By the time I encounter that part of the question series I feel like I've already explained it! For example, I recently took a test with this question "Do you believe someone with military discipline or a business politician would be better suited for being president? Why do you think that? Explain." Doesn't the "why" part of the question mean the same thing as explain? Honestly, I wish I just had a copy and paste button.

I guess we should just start asking multiple-part questions, it would take less time for us, and some teachers might rethink the way they write their tests. Just a thought.

1 comment: